Samurai Aces (known in Japan as Sengoku Ace) is a historical-fantasy vertical-scrolling shoot-'em-up developed by Psikyo and released by Banpresto for arcades on April 1993.
The first game developed by Psikyo (formed by the Video System team that created the 1992 shoot-'em-up Aero Fighters), Samurai Aces is set in a bizarre science-fantasy version of Feudal Japan (during the 15th-17th century Sengoku period) where six protagonists (each piloting a variety of aircraft, from biplanes to stealth fighters) are sent to stop a cult from resurrecting an evil god. It is known for its use of multiple protagonists (with 21 different endings based on character pairing) and for its random stage selection (for the first three stages).
It later received two sequels: Tengai (known in Japan as Sengoku Blade) in 1996 and Sengoku Cannon (Japanese PSP exclusive) in 2004. It was also bundled with its direct sequel in the PlayStation 2 compilation Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 2: Sengoku Ace + Sengoku Blade and was released separately in Europe (by 505 GameStreet on February 3, 2006).
The game was also digitally re-released for both the Nintendo Switch (on February 15, 2018) and PC (on May 20, 2020). This version, ported by Zerodiv and released by City Connection, feature numerous customizable options (including the choice between an enhanced 4:3 display or an authentic rotated display). The Switch version was also released in multiple compilation: Psikyo Collection Vol. 1 and Psikyo Shooting Stars Bravo. The original game also received a mobile port for iOS devices (by APXSoft on April 20, 2020).
- Jane, The Ninja / Hayate no Jane - A ninja who pilots a ninja glider.
- Tengai, Turbo Monk / Tengai, Turbo Bouzu - A monk who rides a falcon spirit.
- Kenn-o, Ultra Genius / Oumaru, Chou Tensai Inuinu - A "super genius" dog who pilots a high-tech stealth fighter.
- Miko, Holy Tomboy / Kiyori, Abarenbou Miko - A shrine maiden who pilots a biplane.
- Flush, The Samrai / Senko no Ayin - A samurai who pilots a fighter plane.
- Gen, Gadget / Gennai, Karakuriya - A scientist who pilots a futuristic "super fighter" (resembling the X-Wing starfighter from Star Wars).